How to use Zoom
Please check out the Zoom website. https://zoom.us/
The First Time – Getting Started
The Computer or Device
- Find a device that has a camera and a microphone, preferably built-in.
- Most laptops have a camera and a microphone built in, as do many modern desktops.
- You can use an iPad or other tablet, or an iPhone or other smart phone, but you may not see all the other course members on one screen.
- If you have an older desktop, you may have a microphone and/or camera you can plug in. Such devices can be purchased
- If you haven’t got a camera or microphone, you can still join in, but will only be able to listen, not be seen or heard.
- On your device, check that your microphone and speaker(s) are working before you try to attend your first meeting.
Downloading the Software or “App” on your Device
- For an iPad or iPhone, download the Zoom app from the Appstore.
- For an Android tablet or phone (eg Samsung devices, most smartphones that are not an iPhone), download the Zoom app from Playstore.
- On a desktop computer
- Click on this link, zoom.us, to open Zoom in your browser. In the top right of the screen, click on RESOURCES and select “Download Zoom Client” from the drop-down menu.
- On the next page, click on the first blue Download button, under the heading “Zoom Client for Meetings”.
- Follow the usual steps to install the app. If you are unfamiliar with installing software, seek help from a grandchild or other tech-savvy person.
Optional: sign up for a Zoom account (if you are only using Zoom for U3A, you don’t need to)
- On the Zoom.us website, click on “Sign up, it’s free”, enter your email address (the one you use for U3A) and follow the prompts to create your account.
- Please put your full name in when you sign up, as this will appear during the Zoom meeting and will help the tutor identify you.
- Make a note of the password you choose!
We recommend using Zoom’s training videos, found on the website. We also recommend keeping your Zoom software up to date, for security reasons. Zoom will let you know when updates are available and ask you to install them.
Joining a Zoom meeting for your course
- Each course will have its own unique link. The link contains the meeting ID and password.
- Find the device you are going to use
- Make sure the Zoom app is not already open (or you may get two copies of it)
- To join the meeting, click on the link for your course
- Zoom will open in a browser window .
- It will ask you if you want to launch the on-line app – click to launch the Zoom app.
- If your tutor hasn’t started the meeting when you try to join, you will just get a message in Zoom asking you to wait.
- You can use the waiting time to test your audio.
- If you have a camera and a microphone, click when prompted to enable video and audio.
- Note: If you are using a tablet or a smart phone, turn it sideways so you don’t appear in narrow box on the screen.
- Everyone in the meeting will see whatever your camera is pointing at. Ideally your face in full, without anything too distracting in the background. Adjust your position and the position of the camera to suit.
The first Zoom class will probably take some time before everyone is connected. Please be patient and polite while this happens.
Thank you to Port Phillips U3A group for allowing us to use their instructions on how to use Zoom