Welcome to Eastern Region
|The Eastern Region covers the Council areas of Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and Bayside (north of Cook’s River) and is generally defined as all suburbs east of a line from the CBD to the airport. Click here to search for your postcode on the regions’ list.
After the CoVid-19 restrictions of 2020, some face-to-face presentations are resuming and talks delivered via Zoom will also continue. As there are frequent changes due to CoVid restrictions, please continue to check the newsletter and website pages from the left menu for current information.
Vale Warwick Mayne-Wilson
It is with a heavy heart that we pass on the news of Warwick Mayne – Wilson`s passing on 25 April 2021. Warwick was immediate past president of U3A Eastern Region, a warm and genuine person, a gentleman, a diplomat and a landscape architect. He received news that his cancer had returned only a few months ago. He died peacefully in St Vincent`s Hospital after being admitted with bronchitis that developed into pneumonia. Read the Committe’s tribute to Warwick here.
Please note: new time and day for face-to-face lectures in the Eastern Region
Friday mornings at 10.30 am commencing 30 April 2021
Wednesday series: 28 April, 19 May, 26 May, 2 June 10:30 am Truth in poetry and philosophy
Join us online for four Wednesday meetings, presented by Max Deutscher. Further details are here.
COA hall (terrace house frontage) at 25 Rowe St., Bondi Junction
Enquiries: Mary Healy-North
Map and images available here
Friday 7 May – 10.30am – finishing at 12 noon
Presenter: Ms Nitza Lowenstein – ‘Dr Google is making us sick’
An exploration of health in the digital age, its impact on the doctor – patient relationship; the latest medical apps; how to find support groups and how to avoid ‘cyberchondria’.
Friday 14 May – 10.30 AM finishing at 12 noon
Presenter: Mr Chris Beazley – ‘Sir Hubert Wilkins – The Australian Polar Explorer’
The scientific years 1929-1958 when Wilkins became the first to fly over the Arctic from Alaska to Norway, followed by a zeppelin world cruise and finally a submarine voyage under the North Pole.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early as QR check-ins take time. The COA hall is close to all forms of public transport, and a range of parking options:
- Two hour free parking at Westfield Centre (Enter from Grafton St. Try to park close to Tower 2 within the carpark, as its lifts give access to Grafton St.)
- Other parking is available in the large CARE carparks along Grafton St. but costs $12 for 1-2 hrs and $15 for 2-3 hrs.
- Map and photos of COA Hall are accessible here
In-Home Care Presentation
In her 1 April presentation, Amanda Keogh, from Prestige In-Home Care, provided much informative information about applying for and receiving in-home care. Click here to see her presentation.
All U3A members (and guests) are welcome to participate in our talks and courses
- Bookings will be required for all courses during CoVid-19 restrictions
- Non-members who wish to attend more than two talks will be requested to join as members. Cost is $75 p.a.
- Seating is generally available for up to 60 people but CoVid restrictions will apply
- Morning tea is provided for a $2 donation if CoVid rules allow
- Language courses, current affairs, film discussion, and book groups are held at a variety of venues
- If a course or presentation is delivered via Zoom, members are able to join other regions’ courses